Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Susie

After my husband and I got married and bought our house, there had been many a conversation with the topic of pets and what kind of pet should we get. My only stipulation was we get an animal that is in need of a home. No pet stores, no breeders and no friends that have the perfect puppy or kitten. I wanted an animal that was abused or abandoned, I wanted to take in something that needed us. Bless my husbands heart (and another reason I love him), he heartily agreed that with as many animals that fill the shelters we will do our best and be the best forever home we could be to whatever animal we chose to be ours.

After bouncing ideas off each other, and the countless times we changed our minds. Trying to do our best to find some precious bundle that would fit with our life style and work hours. We finally decided that a fuzzy was what we needed to bring into our family unit. After reading what I just wrote it makes it sound like our decision was made in a few days. This actually took months and still more months to find the fuzzy we thought would be a good "starter pet". Bob trolled the websites and landed on a few organizations in our area that had a few good candidates but when he saw the picture of Susie, that was it. Love at first sight. And Donnie was her brother and was a package deal. He didn't care he had to have her. The Picture was truly unique. She looked like trouble all over. We made an appointment to meet the ferrets and the shelter parents.

I know I said this before but it will be said many times. I don’t know what goes through peoples minds when they throw away an animal. They made the decision to have a pet. Own up to your responsibility and at least find another safe place if you no longer can care for them. That being said. Donnie and Susie were found alone in an empty apartment. It appears someone was in a hurry to go and "forgot" the two bundles of pure joy sitting in the living room.

I am happy to say that they found their way to a shelter and then to us. They were the start of our "ferret math". Susie brought us to tears with her antics and Donnie acted like he was above all that. They were the odd couple of siblings. However with joy comes the inevitable pain. About a month after bringing home our fuzzies we had to make the decision that would shape us as a family. Do we keep Susie and Donnie or do we give them up? We of course kept the kids and spent thousands that we will never regret. Susie was diagnosed with a bunch of "baddies" as the vet had said. She had insulinoma and adrenal cancer. With those she had other issues like the constant infections the ups and downs with her blood sugar the arthritis since she was getting old. It was heart breaking to see her fight the good fight. And equally heartbreaking to see the pain in my husbands eyes every time she got sick or was just not up to playing with his feet. Donnie knew his sissy wasn’t feeling good and didn’t like to leave her side, and would try to get her to play but just couldn’t get her to muster the strength in the end.

The day she went over the bridge was the hardest day for me. I had to be strong for my husband and for the brother she left behind. Donnie got depressed and wouldn’t leave her favorite bag. He would just lay there. I thought I would lose my boy because he was heartbroken with his loss. I cried in private because I was trying so hard to stay strong. I knew Donnie could sense our pain and I didn’t want to burden him with more stress. I had no clue how to comfort my husband. I had been through this before and knew it was new for him. But what do you say to a person grieving? I’m sorry just doesn’t seem right.

To this day over a year after our loss we still talk of Susie fondly. We miss her sorely and wish she could share in the fun of her extended family. I look forward to seeing her and Simon again when my time comes. Until then I know they are thinking of the tortures they will do to my feet. And like my beloved Simon, Susie was only with us for 6 month before we had to help her across the bridge. Its amazing how strong a bond can get in a short amount of time together and how much the loss hurts.

I will have more on Donnie later. As he still has his tales to tell.





Susie pictured above.

No comments:

Post a Comment