Monday, September 26, 2011

In the beginning!

I would love everyone to get to know my ferrets and all the other ferrets out there.  There are so many in need of a loving home but are neglected and tossed onto the street like yesterdays trash.  I am one of the many people that takes a stand in a more positive direction and takes them into my home.  I unknowingly started doing this years ago.  When  I took in a ferret that was sick from a girl who didn't want him.  At the time I am positive she knew what was wrong with the poor thing and figured she had a likely idiot just willing to take on a daunting task of Ferret nursing. 

That was the day I took in Simon.  I kindly changed his name as I thought it was a huge injustice for a ferret to be called Sylvester (I mean he is not a cat or anything.)  I was told she couldn't keep him because her other ferrets didn't like him and would pee on him.  Well I thought that was the saddest thing I think I had ever heard.  So I brought him home.  I tried to be a responsible ferret owner I read as much as I could on the web.  I got Ferrets for Dummies (btw, best book for rookies out there).  So I think it was about two weeks later I corner this "friend" and ask when he needed to go to the vet.  I was told that he had all his shots when he was born and thats all that he needed.  Well I had owned pets my whole life just nothing this exotic so I figured something was deffinetly off on that comment.  But I let it go seeing that he didnt present with any obvious illnesses.

It wasnt long after that I had noticed that he was starting to bald on the top of his head like a reverse monk and losing fur on his tail.  Not only that but his belly started to "puff up"  I finally take him to the vet and am told he has adrenial cancer and insulinoma and a form of skin cancer.  This poor boy was at deaths door because I wasnt treating him properly due to ignorance on my "friends" part and on mine. 

Now all of the above are all treatable illnesses.  They take lots of money in vet bills and meds.  And lots of  love and patience and massive understanding on ferret healthcare.  But being new to all this and not wanting to toss this poor baby out I did everything a person making $6 an hour could do.  I spent thousands on him and dont regret a moment or a penny.  This story comes to a sad end less then 6 months later when I am finally forced to do the right thing and help him on his way accross the bridge.  I am now 12 years wiser and richer for that expierence. 

I am a member of a foundation that stives to get information out to the public so that all the Simons out there will find love and peace in a forever home.  Its is unbelievable how many people think that a ferret is a disposable pet.  How many people will toss $150 out the window a few weeks after they bought one.  I have four of my own that I have adopted and one that is a permenent foster.  All with sad tales to tell and all the light of my life.  If it were not for them my husband and I would go through the hum drum of life without the pure joy a ferret can give.  This is my blog to enrich others as they have enriched me.

No comments:

Post a Comment